January 22, 2015

Idleness.

Where do I get my ideas of a traditional wife? I often write about my mother's example. The person she is widely influences my idea of how to be a wife. But more importantly, I look to the Bible: God's words to influence my ways of wifehood.

Many Bible believing people know the common scripture Proverbs 31 (The Wife of Noble Character). It's common yes, but it never fails to influence me. No matter how many times I read it I find something more relatable. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I read it as Mrs. Hamstra. It guided my thinking even while I was single. Now, here I am, married, with only six months of experience and soaking up every word about wifehood. Within those six months I feel I can relate to more of that scripture that I thought possible.

Today as I sat down to read verse 27 stood out to me:
She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. 


Oh boy. That one hits me hard. I want to be a stay at home mother SO BAD. I don't understand why I have this burning desire but for as long as I can remember that has been my life goal. Now, here I am working 8:30-6pm five days a week. It's a daily struggle to get myself motivated for work everyday. But one day of the week I get a taste of the stay at home wife way. Saturdays I get to cook, clean, and do whatever wifey things that need to get done. 

How does working apply to idleness? Well, who can raise there hand if I asked "Who of you has been idle at work?" Me! Pick this one. Not Okay. I cannot even constantly be doing and working while I am at work. How can I expect myself to be busy with my hands at home? When work is no longer determined by someone else but by yourself? 

This verse makes me motivated to stay busy. I do not want to become an idle stay at home wife/mother. I want to demonstrate all aspects of a Proverbs 31 Wife. I know I can begin to develop those attributes now even as a working wife. 

*the above photo taken by the wonderful Pen and Lens Design. Check them out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment