September 18, 2014

Day 18: Eye

Colossians 3:22-24

Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord.

I realize that I am not a slave. But, when I read this I thought of the work I do everyday in my jobs. The employer has some ownership of me. And these verses serve as a reminder to me. They remind me that my work needs to be done with all my heart for the Lord.

Today's fun fact: this is a huge struggle for me. To serve with all my heart. It is a battle everyday to get up before the sun and be filled with energy. I work at a before school care program and I always admire the kids' energy so early in the morning. Here I am sipping coffee hoping it will fill me with energy. I am faced with attitudes, complaints, and tears everyday. Sometimes I just want to tell them to stare at the wall. This doesn't happen because I'd probably get busted for it.

But, the kids know how to test me. With that said I am always thankful for a day when I walk out knowing I have served well. When I walk out knowing the kids had fun. And knowing they were able to run and play before going to school.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. 

These verses serve as reminder to continually do a good job. Especially when no one is looking. Because ultimately, I know the Lord eye is on me. Instead of relying on coffee for energy I should rely on the promise of his inheritance. I want to inherit his reward.

What about you? How do you continually serve with all your heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment