September 16, 2014

Day 16: Birds

My first thought when I read today's topic was about my favorite day in Ecuador. What stopped me from writing was the distant connection it had to birds. I haven't come up with anything better so here it is. (I apologize if you have been following me for a while and have heard this story before). 

My group and I were in the Galapagos Islands. We had tours all day and were scheduled to go visit flamingos (i.e. bird). During the time between tours we were hanging out on the beach. Two of my better and friends I were playing soccer while a super cool group of sailors approached us. Thankfully they spoke in English (although the people I was with were fluent in Spanish) and we were filled with joy by their stories of sailing across the ocean. They were on some sort of sailing race using only the stars to guide them. Eventually, we found ourselves enjoying the moment and we convinced our leaders to let us stay at the beach.

They went to look for flamingos. And we immersed ourselves in culture. I really enjoyed this moment not because of the beach (yuck!) but because of the joy these people had by the simple act of playing soccer with us Americans.

So, needless to say we made the better choice. Their birdwatching didn't go so well. 0 flamingos were seen. And we had the pleasure of meeting such cool characters.



1 comment:

  1. Have heard of the Galapagos Islands. Must go there once. Nice happy picture :-)

    ReplyDelete