September 10, 2014

Day 10: New

Up, you guessed it. Another post about the big day.

Something Old. Something New. Something Borrowed. Something Blue. 

To carry on from yesterday's post, my new "charm" was my wedding dress. I'm sure you could've guessed that. Here is the story that follows the dress.

It was about a month after my man proposed. I was itching to look at dresses. Magazines and Pinterest can only scratch that itch so much. I was on strict orders to not try on dresses without my mother. After telling my mom I wanted to go look, she booked a flight to Chicago. It was a cold weekend but no less we took it head on. Our first appointment was at 8:30am (in true Van Hofwegen fashion, we had to start early!) and about an hour drive away. Side note: Ever since my oldest sister found her wedding dress I made a vow to myself to not find my dress in a far away boutique...

The boutique was quiet, clean, and had racks of white dresses. The saleslady was pleasant. I had no idea what wanted other than a detailed back and a bow. After about 4 or 5 dresses I tried one I really liked. However, it was strapless. And I couldn't do strapless. I knew my man would like the bottom of the dress. But I knew that it needed something else to it. My mom cried. I stood filled with anxiousness. Part of me didn't want to stop trying them on, the other part of me knew it wasn't "the one". We left empty handed and drove to another boutique (an hour the other way!). I tried on 3 dresses and found what I loved. I almost fell in love with one dress at the other store. But than came to the realization that I just needed to combine that dress with the dress at the boutique.

And that's what we did. I had an amazing tailor who, after a big mix up with someone else, created my own overlay. She hand picked the lace, cut the eyelashes off for me, and made she every part of the overlay fit perfectly. While the drives and long appointments got tiresome, I was and am so thankful for her attention to details.
overlay, detailed back, and bow. 

I never thought I would get married in a full lace wedding dress. But when I think about it it makes sense. Lace is as traditional as it gets.

Alright, you caught me, maybe I keep writing about the wedding because I want to show of our amazing wedding photos...

No comments:

Post a Comment