May 10, 2014

Quarryman Challenge

I just completed another race. This one was tough. I ran the Quarryman Challenge (10 mile run) in 1:26:40. It is the one of the hilliest courses in the Chicagoland. I thought I had trained well enough for it, incorporating hills and stairs in my runs. But, they weren't kidding when they said it's one of the hilliest routes. I think every mile had at least 1 hill, and the first came 1/2 mile into the race. I wanted to walk a couple times up the hills. But, I am happy to report I didn't walk once! It was a perfect running morning, no wind, cool, and some clouds. I can't complain. While I am very sore at the moment, I am thankful the Lord has blessed me with the ability to run and to enjoy it.

About mile 4,  it crossed my mind as to why runners enjoy it. Why do all these people get up early in the morning, put themselves in pain, and call it fun? I know the majority of the runners were hurting at some point. But yet, there is a sense of accomplishment when you cross the finish line makes you want to keep running.

What was on the line? My man said if I won my division he would be me shoes. And if I ran under 1:30 he would take me to breakfast. The first was more of a joke, because we both knew that wasn't going to happen. The second though. You bet I was racing for that!

We went to a new place in Palos Heights, Bella's Bakery. I am quite pleased with the addition to the town. Located in the Old Shopping Center the bakery and breakfast spot will satisfy any breakfast and pastry lover's appetite.

No photos from this race, which is probably a good thing, because my face was probably top 5 reddest it's ever been.


No comments:

Post a Comment