April 1, 2013

I don't normally write about my homework because well, my homework is never that interesting. But... this time it was (surprise!), and I thought that my Moodle post, would actually work for a blog post. (that means my homework got a little personal but eh why not).

If you want to read the whole article here is the link:
 The Flight From Conversation

Sherry Turkle is arguing that this generation has become used to being "alone together". We develop a sense of aloneness but are still creating relationships through our technology in which we are continually plugged into. She argues that is disrupting interpersonal communication and relationships formed. We fall short, get afraid, or just plain don't know how to talk to people face to face. Her final remark is this:

"Most of all, we need to remember — in between texts and e-mails and Facebook posts — to listen to one another, even to the boring bits, because it is often in unedited moments, moments in which we hesitate and stutter and go silent, that we reveal ourselves to one another." (Turkle,)


My response to this remark was this:

"I have seen this argument being played out in the past month through a new relationship forming. It is always easier to say something through a message especially when you do not know a person extremely well. It is easier to hide behind that device because your hidden from their reaction. Sometimes is better to have the positive reaction diminished then to be exposed to the negative reaction. I am the type of person that can express myself better through words. When I have time to think through things it will come out better then unedited words (to use Turkle’s words). 
I think what hit me the most in these concluding remarks is the fact that stuttering is actually ok. Because I have a hard time saying something without thinking through it (when it comes to serious stuff) I often start and never finish a lot of sentences. I appreciate the recognition that Turkle gives to the silence that can happen during those awkward moments. I have seen her remark, arguing that silence reveals more about ourselves, working in my own relationship. It was through those silent or stutter filled moments that I was able to express myself way better then I could through an edited text message." 

A new challenge for myself after reading this article is to not hide behind technology. Save my thoughts for face to face conversation. And be ok with my ball of string thoughts going on in my head that sometimes do not come out unraveled neatly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment