June 14, 2012

Another one bites the dust

There is... was I should say now... a little red house about a mile down the street from me. The house had white shutters, white picket fence, and a triangle roof. Pretty much what you would think of when trying to draw a country house. So perfect, it would sit on a property where corn fields were planted. Seriously, what more could you want.

I have always dreamt about this red house. I would always drive by the house on my way to school, on the way to the gym, and now back from my internship. Tucked way back in my brain I have hoped to buy it one day, turn it into something cute like a coffee shop, antique store, or maybe even live in it.

Last week I saw a couple men (who looked like serious construction men) on top of the roof. My hopes were up that they were going to be fixing it up or that someone was going to live in it (it had been vacant for such a long time). Monday I drove by it and noticed it was gone. All of it. Not one little piece of that red house was standing. Any non local of Tolleson probably wouldn't even notice that it was missing. The white picket fence is still standing and the ground is level now, but other than that all there is a an acre of dirt.

It makes me sad to drive by that corner now. It makes me even more annoyed with the development that has been happening so much in my town. More and more traffic is on Broadway, more random people use are property to turn around, and the unfinished neighborhoods are looking more and more ugly as the days go bye. I remember when 83rd ave got street lights. I didn't like it very much. Thankfully, they haven't touched Broadway to much, at least not the stretch that I live on.

The destroyed red house makes me want to move to Texas small town even more now. I want to find my red house with a white picket fence, in a small town, where there isn't a lot of traffic. If anything, I my desire to want to live far away from a big city is growing.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry about your little house....it does seem like the Laveen and Tolleson of the past is disappearing....so many more houses and people....thank God for friends and family!

    ReplyDelete