April 19, 2012

Firsts and lasts

I am coming to a lot of lasts of this semester... already...

On Tuesday we had our last Spanish class.

On Wednesday we had our last bible study at the Jensen's house. Pull pork, potato salad, pork n'beans, and green salad was served. (We always get spoiled by Mrs. Jensen's cooking).

Next week will be our last week in Quito. From there we have random single days between the jungle and beach trips. And even next week we won't be here the whole time.

But with the last I am still experiencing some first.

Today, I had the great pleasure of sitting in a small government building where migration, passport, and censos are dealt with. We needed to get our censos about month ago, but that failed so we went today on our day off. What a bummer. Let's compare this experience to sitting in the DMV. So that means it is TERRIBLE! Although, I am thankful that my friends and I took a little walk to the mall, got some pan de yuca (yum) and fresh juice. That killed about an hour of our 4 hour experience. The actual obtaining my censo part took about 10 minutes. But for some reason these people wanted to work really slow and drag out the process. I signed one paper, paid four bucks, and took a bad picture. That was all I needed to be legal in the country. Now I do not have to pay a $200 fine when I leave. So I'd say it was worth it.

The next first I had today was playing basketball at the high school down the road. (This high school use to be known as the missionary kid school, but that has changed a little while maintaining a Christian background). This was the first I played this whole semester, and with just guys. Yikes. That was a little intimidating, but it was a lot of fun. Every time I play I am always reminded how much I love the game. I was really sore now but it was well worth it.

The final first I experienced today, was being chased by a dog and almost getting hit by a car. I was on my daily run when I heard a dog barking and saw it running towards me. This dog was super scary and I think a little crazy. It somehow got to me and almost bit me. If you know me well, you know I do not like dogs at all. So you know how scared I was. Only by God's grace did the couple in the car know English and made sure I was ok. Yikes, I am going to be on the lookout for stray dogs even more now.

This wasn't a first, but I want to mention it. Today, we made ceviche in the house with a students host mom. It was delicious. We also had a local side dish called something I can't spell. But it is made with potatoes and the fried. Super bad for you, but really tasty.

I am thankful that the Lord gave me a good day even with some last but with a lot of first. I only have 20 days left tomorrow (Friday). We go to the jungle in 1 week for a longer stay. Then the beach. Wow. It amazes me how quick time has flown by. I hope I am doing all the Lord has planned for me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment