February 17, 2012

La Selva

I have survived the jungle. Ok, I shoudn't act like it was the worst thing in the world. We had a roof over our head, and 3 square meals a day. Now granted- the roof was tin and it rained a lot at night. I am not sure if any of you have heard rain hitting tin. It is so loud you can't even hear the person next to you talking or your alarm clock (I missed it one morning, what a bummer.) We stayed at a very nice hostal in Misajushi. They provided us with yummy meals. Every night we had soup, the main course, then a small dessert. They were a blessing for sure.

During the two days we worked on a house that will be for the missionary couple in the jungle. They have 3 kids of there own, and 'adopted' 6 jungle kids. Each one having a crazy story. They currently live in the school building. The missionary's started the school because they wanted there own kids to have good education, and the number of kids grew to about 40. They are doing great things in the jungle. After we worked on the house we took a lunch break. Then headed to a different part of the jungle where we did our VBS. It was for 2 hours, and the kids had 3 stations to go to. A story, crafts, and games. But first we started off with songs. It's funny that the first time I lead a VBS it was in a different language. I think it worked out alright. It has hard to communicate with the kids; I kick myself for not knowing Spanish better. But this gives me motivation for the next time.

Overall, I had a lot of fun. I only got 2 bug bites- which is nothing compared to what some people got. I guess 98% det really does work. Hopefully, I won't have cancer in a few years. It was hot and humid, the work was hard, but the experience was great. Even though I was in a place where I didn't feel comfortable I knew that that was where God wanted me to be. I hope that I glorified him through our work this week. I pray that soon the couple can live in their house.


I did a terrible job of taking pictures. I kick myself for not taking more. But here is the outside dining hall. It was pretty cool. Above is our bedroom. It did the job, even with a leaky roof.


1 comment:

  1. Victoria, I feel so encouraged right now :) I just came from chapel where we were challenged to go out of our comfort zone-amazing. You are doing great things. I like the pictures you did take :)

    ReplyDelete